Snowy, wet start will lead to warm finale as March ushers in spring
Jack Grum -- Casual Living, 3/1/2010 12:00:00 AM
Last March, dismal consumer confidence and the Easter calendar shift outweighed the favorable weather and lower gasoline costs. March 2009 temperatures trended warmer than the previous year for the nation as a whole. The first week of the month was exceptionally warm, with 673 record high temperatures set across the country. This was a great opportunity for early spring merchandise, but only those items that consumers had an immediate use for. Snowfall last March was less than 2008 and normal, also exceptional for early spring categories.
This month follows a February that brought record-breaking snowstorms across the nation. Snow was reported in all 50 states, with blizzards in the Mid-Atlantic area.
March 2010 will bring an increased threat for heavy snowfall across interior New England and the eastern Midwest. Fortunately, most of the chilly weather and snow will be confined to the first half of the month with the final two weeks of the month leading up to Easter turning much warmer.
Pent-up demand from a chilly and wet start to the month, followed by an exceptionally warm final week (which also happens to be the week prior to Easter) should make for exceptionally strong spring category demand.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...