Chic Chicago design competition
Brentano and Chicago History Museum to sponsor
-- Casual Living, 2/23/2009 1:43:00 PM
When the Chicago History Museum decided to sponsor a fashion design competition built around the Chic Chicago exhibition of couture garments, they turned to Brentano to provide the fabrics.
The innovative manufacturer of outdoor fabrics, high performance upholstery, Crypton and faux leather joined forces with the Museum for a competition that not only challenges designers to use materials differently, but also creates a unique opportunity to fuse fashion and interior design.
Initially, five dresses were selected from the Chic Chicago exhibition to serve as inspiration pieces. Each designer submitted sketches, complete with Brentano fabric samples, to the panel of judges. Judges have determined which three dresses will be fully brought to life using Brentano fabrics, and the winning garment will be announced at the FashioNext finale event to be held April 17.
Brentano Design Director Iris Wang will participate as a judge alongside a panel including Timothy Long, costume curator, Chicago History Museum; Andrea Kalish Reynders, professor, School of the Art Institute of Chicago; Dr. Valerie Steele, director and chief curator, the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology; Gaynor Strachan-Chun, senior vice president of marketing, Ovation TV; and Noren Ungaretti, president, Costume Council of the Chicago Historical Society.
Tickets for the FashioNext finale party can be purchased from the Chicago History Museum. The leading design will win a place in history as a permanent part of the Museum’s costume collection, and will be displayed as part of the Chic Chicago exhibition until its closure on July 26.
Megan O'Meara - 2009-03-09 22:59:00 EDT
As a designer who is continuously looking at current fabric lines and as a member of the Chicago History Museum, I am thrilled with the FashioNext collaboration between Brentano and CHM. I can't wait to see the designs at the finale and am curious to find out which Brentano fabrics were chosen for the fashion designs. So many to choose from...
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...