Who answered the survey
-- Casual Living, 5/1/2008 12:00:00 AM
Casual Living’s exclusive survey of interior designers was fielded during February and March of 2008. More than 200 practicing interior designers returned completed surveys. Returned surveys were representative of the sampled population of interior designers in the United States. Most of those who returned surveys were free-lance interior designers. Just under one-fifth were interior designers associated with either a furniture store or a casual furniture specialty store. Slightly more than one-tenth were interior designers allied with either an architectural/engineering firm or a builder/construction firm. Three-fifths of the firms replying generated less than $500,000 in total design revenues for 2007. Nearly one-quarter had design revenues of $500,000 to $999,999.
Asked about membership in national design-related associations, just about three-fifths said they belonged to at least one. The most frequently mentioned design association was the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) named by nearly two-thirds. Another 10% each said they belonged to either the American Institute of Architects (AIA) or the Interior Design Society (IDS).
The survey was conducted by Casual Living’s research team, led by Judi Fulbright, research specialist, and assisted by Cynthia Myers, database coordinator, and Patrice Rahming, research assistant.
2007 total design revenues
Percentage of respondents
|$100,000 to $499,999||36%|
|$500,000 to $999,999||24%|
|$1 million to $2.99 million||12%|
|$3 million to $4.99 million||1%|
|$5 million or more||3%|
Type of business operation
Percentage of respondents
|Free-lance interior designer||69%|
|Interior designer associated with a furniture store||17%|
|Interior designer associated with an architectural/engineering or landscape architectural firm||7%|
|Interior designer associated with a builder/construction firm||4%|
|Interior designer associated with a casual furniture specialist||1%|
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...