HPBA publishes latest barbecue usage study
April 19, 2016,
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Assn.’s most recent barbecue lifestyle, usage and attitude study was conducted online via Rockbridge Associates Inc. in July and August 2015. Rockbridge conducted a 20-minute online survey with 1,145 grillers in the United States who were at least 18 years old and either the primary griller or shared grilling responsibilities.
For more information on National Barbecue Month and how grilling retailers and manufacturers are celebrating the holiday, make sure to grab the May issue of Casual Living magazine.
1. 75% of U.S. adults own a grill or smoker.
2. 62% of households that own a grill own a gas grill, followed by charcoal (53%) and electric (12%). Two percent own a wood pellet grill, and 8% are thinking of purchasing one this year.
3. The most popular days to barbecue are: Fourth of July (76%), Labor Day (62%), Memorial Day (62%), Father’s Day (49%) and Mother’s Day (34%).
4. The top reasons for cooking out? 71% of grill owners say it’s to improve flavor, 54% for personal enjoyment and 42% for entertaining family and friends.
5. The majority of grill owners (63%) enjoy using their grill or smoker year-round. In fact, 43% cook at least once a month in the winter months.
6. Half of all grill owners have the most basic grilling accessories (cleaning brush, tongs, glove/mitts). The most popular new accessories owners plan to buy include pizza stones, broiling baskets and cooking planks.
7. Ten percent of all grill owners have a backyard kitchen (featuring premium furniture and lighting).
8. Barbecuing isn’t just an evening activity; 11% of grill owners prepared breakfast on a grill in the past year.
9. Nearly one third of grill owners (31%) grilled someplace other than their homes in the past year, including 24% who grilled while camping.
10. Nearly half (45%) of U.S. adults surveyed plan to purchase a new grill or smoker in 2016, while nearly a third (30%) of current owners plan to grill with greater frequency.
Related Content By Author
Dale Boles on Barcalounger Outdoor Living's Big Debut
Casual Living eWeekly
Most Viewed Articles
October Digital Edition
Don't miss the October digital edition of Casual Living! In this month’s Market Issue, we’ll bring you all the highlights of Casual Market Chicago, from innovative new products and hot trends to this year’s award winners and a taste of the party scene. Plus, you’ll get a sneak peek of all the product debuts at High Point Market.
In this issue:
- Consumer Survey: Did you know three out of four consumers read online reviews before purchasing outdoor furniture? That’s just one of the shopping insights shared in our exclusive report on consumer buying habits.
- Designer Viewpoint: A North Carolina designer creates an outdoor space for a modern-day Brady Bunch. • Barbecue Lifestyle: Our grill guy gives tips on extending the season through the holidays.
- Focus On: Patterns punch up the style quotient of outdoor accessories.