This month to trend warmer, drier than past years
Provided by Weather Trends International
Casual Living Staff -- Casual Living, 8/20/2010 5:15:45 AM
This month will trend as the nation's warmest in at least three years and the driest in four years.
The first half of the month promises to provide the best opportunity for retailers to clear summer merchandise and outdoor categories in the Northwest, while the second half of the month will be favorable in the central Plains and Southeast. The Southwest will trend cooler and wetter this year because of a more active summer monsoon, which will suppress demand for outdoor living categories. Tropical activity should be higher this year than last, with the greatest risk for a land-falling storm late in the month across the Gulf Coast.
Precipitation trended slightly drier, but 2009 still ranked as the sixth wettest August in more than 17 years.
Last August, 57% of the nation trended warmer than the year prior and 47% was warmer than average. The Northeast was the most improved region, with the season's first heat wave during the third week of the month benefiting summer clearance sales. Precipitation trended slightly drier, but 2009 still ranked as the sixth wettest August in more than 17 years. The tropics were less active in 2009, a positive for retailers along the Eastern and Gulf coasts.
We would love your feedback!
- Jul 26, 2010
- Apr 3, 2013
- Feb 7, 2013
- Jun 5, 2012
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...