Search on for new High Point Market Authority president
Agency hopes to replace Brian Casey by late April or early May
Furniture Today Staff -- Casual Living, 3/23/2011 2:05:48 PM
HIGH POINT, N.C. — The High Point Market Authority hopes to have a replacement for outgoing president Brian Casey hired by late April or early May, the chairman of the group's board of directors said this week.
Chairman Kevin O'Connor said the board's four-person executive committee will oversee the search, and that group will recommend a candidate to the full 12-member board.
"Brian has a very strong staff, and I'm confident they can keep things running smoothly in the short-term," O'Connor said.
Casey, who is leaving April 30 to become general manager of the Cleveland Medical Mart and Convention Center, has been Market Authority president since 2006.
O'Connor said the new president's role will be somewhat different because Casey was hired when the Las Vegas Market presented a competitive threat to High Point.
Although that competitive threat essentially has dissipated, he said it will be important for the new leader to maintain good relations with showroom building owners, buyers and the High Point community, as well as North Carolina state lawmakers in Raleigh, who have provided more than $2 million annually in recent years to promote the market and operate its shuttle system.
"Under Brian's leadership, the Market Authority has established itself as a strong independent entity that serves all constituencies," said O'Connor. "And we want to continue to do that, while providing a place for exhibitors and retailers to do business."
He said the possible sale of High Point's largest showroom buildings will have little or no bearing on who ultimately gets the job.
"The exhibitors are the ones who make it important to come to market," he said. "It is not the responsibility of the building owners to create a market."
In addition to O'Connor, the board's executive committee consists of High Point Mayor Becky Smothers, International Home Furnishings Center President Tom Mitchell, and Doug Bassett, executive vice president of Vaughn-Bassett.
We would love your feedback!
- Mar 21, 2011
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...