Designs for outdoor spaces
Jan Michelle -- Casual Living, 4/15/2011 9:31:12 AM
THIS BACKYARD WAS SMALL, LOW LYING AND VERY SHADED DUE TO THE LARGE EVERGREENS THAT HAD BEEN PLANTED TO PROVIDE PRIVACY. A slope from the side of the house down to the back caused water to flow down and keep the area too damp. grass would not grow, due to the excess shade and wetness. it was completely uninviting and not used at all by the owner.
So with too much shade and too much water, i decided to remove the yard completely! i planned a two-tiered area. The higher tier around the perimeter holds the trees and shade-loving perennials. a large waterfall was planned to fit into the slope perfectly. it cascades over several levels into a koi pond on the lowest level. it provides a beautiful focal point and wonderfully serene feel with the sound of the flowing water. natural slate creates a functional yet pretty patio surface. underground pipes now take away any excess water.
The deck was equipped with a mounted under-deck ceiling system so it was a perfect area for grilling and relaxing. The built-in grill and cooking eyes allow the homeowner to make an entire meal outside. a television is mounted on the side of the house so it can be viewed from the grill, hot tub or the sitting area.
To tie the decking posts into the design, we wrapped them in moulding and stacked stone. a dramatic spiral staircase from the deck allows access from the home's main level.
Now the backyard is a functional and a beautiful area the owners can enjoy much of the year ... perfect for entertaining family and friends.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...