Casual Living and Exterior Design to host exclusive designer workshop
May 19, 2017,
JAMESTOWN, N.C.—The outdoor category is one of the fastest-growing in the home furnishings industry, and for designers, it presents a wealth of opportunities to build business and expand projects.
To give designers the tools they need to capitalize on this expanding category, Casual Living and Exterior Design are joining forces with retail icon Furnitureland South to present a one-day immersive workshop for the interior design community.
Slated for Tuesday, June 27, 9:30 a.m., on the Furnitureland South campus in Jamestown, N.C., the event will afford designers the opportunity to learn more about the casual furnishings category, as well as earn valuable CEUs.
Casual Living/Exterior Design Editor-in-Chief Waynette Goodson and a representative from luxury casual furnishings manufacturer Castelle will offer insights into the outdoor industry during two CEU sessions. Attendees also will get the chance to learn more about The Design Network from its founder and Furnitureland South co-owner, Jason Harris. Other highlights will include a vendor panel discussion and an outdoor showroom tour.
A gourmet lunch will be served during the event, and a cocktail hour is planned for 4 p.m. The first 25 attendees will receive a gift bag, as well as designer discounts from Furnitureland South.
Admission for the workshop is free, but space is limited. To RSVP, contact Casual Living/Exterior Design Features Editor Jennifer Bringle at firstname.lastname@example.org or (336) 605-1007.
The schedule includes:
9:30 a.m. Meet and Greet Hosted by Furnitureland South (coffee and pastry provided)
10:30-11:30 a.m. “Furnishing the Great Outdoors – Tomorrow’s Opportunity Today”
• A designer-focused presentation on the opportunities and potential held within the outdoor design industry. The session will include research by Furniture Today/Casual Living on the size of the outdoor market, the characteristics of the buyers in the market and the tremendous sales opportunities for designers in the outdoor room. Presenter: Carmen Squadrito, 1 CEU credit
11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. The Design Network
• Furnitureland South co-owner Jason Harris introduces The Design Network, a go-to resource for design inspiration, home improvement, expert advice and insight into the best products for any designer project. It is a video network built on a shared passion for all things home and lifestyle.
12:30-1:30 p.m. – Lunch with speaker Waynette Goodson, Editor In Chief, Casual Living
• Master Class: Performance Materials: Reticulated foam. Extruded aluminum. Marine-grade polymer. Navigating the outdoor furniture category is a bit like a science experiment. It’s important for designers to understand all the new technologies that allow casual furnishings to stand up to the rigors of Mother Nature. Becoming knowledgeable about performance materials will allow designers to understand the value of these expensive pieces and how to convey that value to clients. The Master Class presentation will explore four key categories: plastics (marine grade polymer and recycled plastic lumber), wicker (synthetic versus natural), alternative woods (beyond teak) and aluminum (cast, extruded and tubular). 1 CEU credit
1:30-2:30 p.m. – Outdoor Category Vendor Product Knowledge Panel/Q & A
• Top vendors of the outdoor and casual furnishings industry share performance insight and product information for multiple construction styles.
2:30– 4 p.m. – Outdoor Category Retail Tour
4–5 p.m. – Conclusion with networking, cocktails & hors d’oeuvres
Related Content By Author
Casual Friday: Furnitureland South's expanding outdoor showroom
Casual Living eWeekly
Most Viewed Articles
November Digital Edition
Don't miss the November digital edition of Casual Living! In this month’s issue, we look to the future of retail with a spotlight on technology. Assistant Editor Alex Milstein breaks down the basics of artificial intelligence (AI) and augmented reality (AR) and how they’re changing the furniture shopping experience. We also explain how building engagement on social media channels can boost business for retailers.
You’ve waited two years, and it’s finally here! Casual Living’s biennial Universe Study offers a comprehensive snapshot of the outdoor category, highlighting its growth across all segments from furnishings to shade to grills.
Also in This Issue:
• Designer Viewpoint: A Beverly Hills backyard gets a glam makeover, thanks to renowned designer Christopher Grubb.
• Market Report: Our editors give you the inside scoop on all the new outdoor introductions at the High Point Market. Can you say Cobonpue?
• Casual Insights: Kathy Wall of The Media Matters offers insight on refreshing your brand.