ICFA honors industry award winners
September 15, 2017,
CHICAGO – The International Casual Furnishings Association (ICFA) honored top retailers, manufacturers, sales representatives and designers this week at a gala awards celebration during Casual Market Chicago. All segments of the industry gathered at the Chicago Field Museum Thursday, Sept. 15, to recognize manufacturing and retailing excellence, spotlight top product designs and pay tribute to the 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award recipients. Awards presented or recognized during the event included the following:
Sunnyland Furniture, Dallas, was the single-store category winner.
Outside in Style, with two stores in Austin and one in San Antonio, was the multi-store category winner.
Finalists in the single store category included Kolo Collection, Atlanta; Patios Plus, Rancho Mirage, Calif.; Rustic by Design Fireplace & Patio, Morgantown, W. Va.; Villa Terrazza Patio & Home, Sonoma, Calif.; and Village Green Home and Garden, Rockford, Ill. Finalists in the multi-store category were ABSCO Fireplace & Patio, Birmingham, Ala.; Daylight Home, Lighting & Patio, San Luis Obispo, Calif.; Elegant Outdoor Living, Bonita Springs, Naples and Fort Myers, Fla.; Pacific Patio, Santa Monica, Calif.; and Today’s Patio, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Design Excellence Awards
The Design Excellence competition recognizes products in 10 categories for their overall design, as well as their marketability, innovation, color, construction and imaginative use of materials. Eligible designs must have been introduced in the marketplace within the previous year and must be offered by companies exhibiting at Casual Market Chicago. Merchandise Mart Properties Inc. co-sponsors the awards. The 2017 category winners included:
• Chaise Lounge: Lane Venture Winterthur Estate Daybed, by John Black for Winterthur
• Complementary Casual Products: Gloster Furniture Bar Cart by Henrik Pedersen
• Dining Bar Chair: Telescope Casual Furniture Jetset MGP Aluminum Dining Chair by William Vanderminden
• Dining Bar Table: Barlow Tyrie Aura Narrow Dining Table by Mark Tyrie
• Fabric: Glen Raven Sunbrella Midori Indigo by the Sunbrella Design Team
• Heating/Fire Pit: Ebel Lucca Fire Table by Kai Ebel
• Lounge Seating with Cushion: Jensen Leisure Furniture Cordial Lounge Chair by Alan Morley
• Lounge Seating without Cushion: Gloster Furniture William Lounge Chair by Henrik Pedersen
• Rugs and Flooring: Jaipur Living Waveny Flume Birch/Phantom by the Jaipur Living Design Team
• Shade: Tuuci Ocean Master Max with Integrated Lighting System by Dougan Clarke
Lillian B. Winchester “Best of Show” and “Lilly” Awards
The Lillian B. Winchester “Best of Show” award, selected from among the 10 category winners listed above, went to Tuuci’s Ocean Master Max with Integrated Lighting System, which also received the Lilly Award in the Outdoor Accents category. Jensen Leisure’s Cordial Lounge Chair received the “Lilly” award in the Outdoor Furniture category.
Tuuci Ocean Master Max with Integrated Lighting System
Jensen Leisure Cordial Lounge Chair
The prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award is reserved for individuals who have made exemplary contributions to the casual furniture industry and to their individual communities. The 2017 honorees were Petey Fleischut, founder of Casual Marketplace in Hockessin, Del., and Oliver Ma, founder of Treasure Garden, Baldwin Park, Calif.
Ma entered the shade products business in 1975, exporting beach and garden umbrellas from Taiwan to mass merchants and outdoor furniture
Ten leading manufacturers were honored for overall leadership reflecting the design and quality of their products, along with their merchandising, customer service, ethics, communications and trade relations. Winners, selected by ICFA members through online voting, were: Brown Jordan, Castelle, Gensun, Gloster Furniture, Jensen Leisure Furniture, Lloyd Flanders, OW Lee, Telescope Casual Furniture, Treasure Garden and Tropitone Furniture.
Manufacturer of the Year
For the sixth year in a row, OW Lee was named “Manufacturer of the Year.” Like the Manufacturer Leadership winners, the Manufacturer of the Year is selected for the design and quality of their products, as well as outstanding merchandising, customer service, ethics, communications and trade relations.
Sales Representative of the Year
Finalists for the award included Dave Digirolamo, Dublin, Calif.; Andy Hamilton, Dallas; Vern Lachowitzer, Longwood, Fla.; and Charlie Smith, La Quinta, Calif.
Related Content By Author
Casual Friday: Furnitureland South's expanding outdoor showroom
Casual Living eWeekly
Most Viewed Articles
November Digital Edition
Don't miss the November digital edition of Casual Living! In this month’s issue, we look to the future of retail with a spotlight on technology. Assistant Editor Alex Milstein breaks down the basics of artificial intelligence (AI) and augmented reality (AR) and how they’re changing the furniture shopping experience. We also explain how building engagement on social media channels can boost business for retailers.
You’ve waited two years, and it’s finally here! Casual Living’s biennial Universe Study offers a comprehensive snapshot of the outdoor category, highlighting its growth across all segments from furnishings to shade to grills.
Also in This Issue:
• Designer Viewpoint: A Beverly Hills backyard gets a glam makeover, thanks to renowned designer Christopher Grubb.
• Market Report: Our editors give you the inside scoop on all the new outdoor introductions at the High Point Market. Can you say Cobonpue?
• Casual Insights: Kathy Wall of The Media Matters offers insight on refreshing your brand.