Spoga+gafa organizers predict strong colors, relaxed fun this fall
Casual Living Staff -- Casual Living, 6/17/2013 10:12:20 AM
COLOGNE, Germany - Garden trend fair spoga+gafa has released a trend report for 2013/14 in advance of the fall show, to be held Sept. 8-10 in Cologne, Germany. Around 2,000 suppliers will be on hand showcasing the latest designs for the balcony and terrace.
The trend report cites a survey by TNS International, carried out on behalf of balcony glazing manufacturer Lumon, that says 78% of respondents have either a balcony or a terrace, and nearly all of the remaining 22% said they would like to have one. Thirty-two percent said they use their outdoor space year-round, not just during the summer months.
According to a spoga+gafa press release, "At the moment the trend is towards brightly coloured stools and chairs, modern-style teakwood furniture, (and) playful, high-quality swings and sofas that are hardly distinguishable from their indoor counterparts thanks to exciting material innovations."
In the coming season, manufacturers are presenting their furniture in all colors of the rainbow - in the strongest shades possible. "Whether purple, green, blue or yellow, everything that pleases and that livens up one's own green oasis is allowed," the release states. "And since combinations of these jazzy colours are currently in trend, the sofas, chairs and co. often come in peppy striped designs." The trend report also predicts that accessories in pastel shades will become increasingly popular.
The report predicts mesh items will lose ground in the premium area, so manufacturers will increasingly turn to other materials. The spectrum ranges from bamboo to cement, through to leather suitable for outdoors. In the course of the trend towards sustainability and vintage products, teak is returning to the scene.
"In the coming season teak is being given a very modern interpretation," the release states. "The design language offers exciting, in some cases extravagant looks. In order to underline this style the manufacturers are often combining teak with stainless steel. The combination between the warm wood and the cool steel creates an attractive contrast, which lends the garden or the balcony an elegant ambiance."
Cool casual swings
The more hectic everyday life is, the more the consumers crave coziness and recreation. The spoga+gafa report predicts swings will provide ultimate relaxation in 2013/14.
According to the trend report, "The classic Hollywood swings and hammocks have always been extremely popular, but now there's a range of new versions, which boast very stylish, luxurious designs. The focus lies on the one hand on rocking chairs, which have their own sophisticated homely charm, and on the other hand on swinging seat and lounging options. Equipped with comfortable seat upholstery and cushions, they simply invite you to hang out and relax."
Innovative material with indoor qualities
The trend toward furnishing outdoor spaces like a second living room has been prevalent in the outdoor market for a few years. The spectrum of products includes weatherproof lamps, carpets and paintings, while sofas offer just as much luxury and comfort as the indoor alternatives.
"The current visual improvements and the development in the haptic qualities of the fabrics are particularly impressive," the report states. "In the coming season innovative materials will provide tangible comfort. Combined with high-quality cushions and (poufs), this creates a genuine living feeling."
Thanks to outdoor kitchens, the entire cooking process can take place outdoors. "Their installation is simple and they don't take up much space," the report states. "At the same time the kitchens, which are mostly of modular design, offer attractive additional functions - allowing you to cool drinks or conjure up a campfire romantic atmosphere on the terrace."
For those who prefer classic barbecues, a wide range of accessories from pizza stones to chicken roasting baskets to vegetable pans will prove popular in 2013/14, according to the report. "A newcomer on the scene is the à la plancha trend. Creative cooking on an enameled cast-iron grill plate is a Spanish tradition, which is currently attracting more and more fans."
We would love your feedback!