Ronda Whitaker has been Casual Living's graphic designer since 2007. In her new home, she loves to cook and enjoys grandiose thoughts of gourmet entertaining in her back yard. Ronda’s backyard is a long way from being an entertainment mecca, but with this blog she's looking forward to trying new recipes while improving her novice grilling skills.
- Zig Ziglar once said something to the effect of, “Optimism is going after Moby Dick with a pocket knife in one hand and tartar sauce in the other.” That was the casual grilling frame of mind going into this month’s blog. Extreme optimism. Our annual family beach vacation was rapidly approaching, and grilling a meal or two is always on our agenda. While planning our weekly meals it dawned on me: The house has one of those permanent iron charcoal grills, battered and rusty by the salty air and who knows what burnt, gross, fish gunk left behind by ... Read More
- Those three words sum up this weekend’s massive meatloaf grilling experiment for the most part. The menu: smoked meatloaf (two actually), Four Cheese Smoked Mac and Cheese and Smoked Skillet Apple-Bourbon Crisp. There was no way to resist bobbing my head and belting “Out of the frying pan and into the fire” while preparing the menu for this blog. It was more appropriate than I realized at the time. I was burned, metaphorically speaking. I split the six pounds of ground beef for the one meatloaf recipe and decided to try two different styles; and, boy, these were still ... Read More
- Well, more like a dull, brown B. As in over-cooked beef. Yes, I was previously a meat murderer. I committed beef blasphemy. This weekend all that ended, and I earned my temporary girl grill card.Rewind: I have gone without a grill for quite some time and decided when spring rolled around I was going to purchase a new one. So I strolled into a local store one day and found a beautiful stainless steel, commercial, infrared grill. Ooooooh. It was love at first sight.Then fear set in. How does this work? I only know it claims to cook ... Read More
- A couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon a tailgate photo contest with Traeger Wood Pellet Grills. Each week was a different theme where contestants tweeted photos of what they cooked and the winner received a Traeger tailgate grill package. Hot dawg! How fun that would be and it motivated me after a seriously long hiatus from the backyard cooking experience. If nothing else, I love a challenge.That particular week the theme was bacon wrapped tailgate food. I quickly found and tried a fabulous recipe from the BBQ Pit Boys that will make your mouth water. You and your ... Read More
- You probably know May is National BBQ Month. It turns out May also is National Vidalia Onion Month so I thought I'd pay homage to the onion in my very first Casual Grilling blog. Who doesn't love onions? Shrek thinks they are worthy and I do, too. So I searched high and low for onion recipes and finally found one online that I wanted to tackle. Eureka! Grilled onion rings. Fun and yum, not to mention healthier than deep frying. Oh! And let's make it ALL about onions. Burgers stuffed with onions, mushrooms, and cheese topped with ... Read More