VIVA! CINCO DE MAYO!
Celebrate the 5th of May in style, set your outdoor table with bright colorful napkins, plates, dishes, glassware, candles and cheerful flowers. Place large bowls of chips and salsa around the table, this is a joyous holiday that is celebrated with food, fun and plenty of tequila.
This holiday is held during the first week of May, Cinco de Mayo is a time when everyone feels a little bit Mexican in his or her soul. If you are a retail store set a prominent table utilizing these suggestions. Give your customers some recipes and ideas for them to enjoy in their outdoor living space. Perhaps a recipe for Black Bean & Corn Salsa by Stella Zedman
This Black Bean and Corn Salsa is a great accompaniment to carnitas, tacos or just with tortilla chips as a snack.
* 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels – frozen, canned or fresh cooked
* 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
* 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely diced ripe tomato
* 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped cilantro
* 4 green onions, chopped
* 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
* 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1. In a mixing bowl, toss together all the ingredients. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
2. Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes or refrigerated for at least one hour before serving.
Servings: Makes about 4 cups (1 litre).
Play festive music and consider raffling off the table setting to support a local charity. You will be amazed at how a simple idea can stimulate consumer spending.
These are my outside views, Happy Cinco de Mayo, Viva La Fiesta!